Views of Siena

I took my camera out with me yesterday as I ran some errands, thinking that it would be fun to show you some of the things I see here every day. Here are the results of my outing!

The Duomo of Siena - I love the classic Tuscan use of pink and green marble.

Another shot of the facade.

Going up the street to the Duomo - you can see the spires just peeking over the top of the buildings at the end of the street.

This is the facade of the Ospedale di Santa Maria della Scala, the hospital I am writing my dissertation on. It is directly across from the front of the Duomo and takes its name (St. Mary of the Steps) from the face that it faces the cathedral's stairs.

These are the stairs at the back of the Duomo, leading to the baptistery. They filmed a scene for the movie Letters to Juliet here.

A street in the Selva (the woods) contrada. They won the Palio in July so they are in full celebration mode! This is a good example of what many streets in Siena look like; narrow, winding, and dark!

This is a shot at the top of the street where I live, Via Mattioli.

A view from a park at the top of my street.

Another view from the park - isn't it beautiful? I love this city!

0 comments:

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am currently working on PhD in History at the University of Toronto, but I often travel to Siena, Italy to do research for my dissertation.

Followers