Assisi

Almost two weeks ago (yes, I am way behind on posting!) I went with our Italian conversation class on their field trip to Assisi. I have always wanted to go there and since all the other classes were out on field trips that day I was able to tag along. Assisi is famous for being the home of St. Francis, and it is easy to see why he was such a lover of nature and God's creations - it is a stunningly beautiful town. Set high in the hills it is full of winding streets, beautiful stone buildings, and many churches. The most famous of course, is San Francesco, a huge basilica church where St. Francis is buried. His tomb is in a small chapel underneath the main church and it was the perfect place to sit and do some quiet reflection. I loved Assisi and will definitely go back again someday!

On our way back to Siena we made two stops: one at the Perugina chocolate factory and one at Lake Trasimeno. At the factory we watched a video about the chocolate making process and had a tour of their museum- they also gave us lots of free chocolate which was amazing and awful at the same time since it tastes so good but also ruins my diet! The lake was lovely and serene, and Trasimeno is famous for its hand-painted porcelain, so I did some fun window-shopping. All in all, it was a great day!

The gate through which we entered Assisi.


A view of the fortress on the hill above the town. The sky was so blue that day!


A view from one of the walls - the whole town was one amazing view after another!


Another thing to love about Assisi - Roman ruins! Assisi was a Roman city and this is the facade of the temple of Minerva, which is, of course, now a Catholic church.


This is the facade of Santa Chiara, the church dedicated to St. Francis's friend and follower, St. Clare. She established a female monastic order to parallel the Franciscans, called the Poor Clares.

A typical street in Assisi.


The church of San Francesco. Construction began on this church in 1228!


Proof that I was there!

Courtyard inside the church grounds.


The view from below.


Entering the Perugina chocolate factory. They are the distributors of Nestle chocolate in Italy and they make their own chocolate as well.


They are most famous for tiny little chocolates called "Baci" or kisses. They are made of chocolate with pieces of hazelnut and a whole hazelnut on top. This is a replica of a giant Baci that they made for the town of Perugia.


Beautiful Lake Trasimeno.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

How many times can I say "wow!" or "beautiful!"? How manty times can I say, "I am so jealous!!! Waaaaa!" Will you take me there some day, please?

I am missing you today and that first photo of you is so glorious and you look so radiant and it made me cry. How about that run-on sentence, huh? I am happy for you and sad for us. We want you here with us or...us there with you!

B*Marie said...

Sarah-

You are so beautiful! Even more beautiful then Italy itself.

XoXo!

Petertammenson said...

Sarah, there you are!! I've been subtly stalking you from your mom's blog, which Lianne links to on her blog. Italy! Tell me your dissertation topic, please! Luke is envious of your time spent in the archives - he did his undergrad history thesis on the partigiani and I went back to Toscana with him to help with interviews. We're back in UT now, and I'd love to catch up with you if you're home for the holidays.
Much love,
Amanda Tammen Peterson
tammenpeterson@gmail.com
http://www.petertammenson.blogspot.com/

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am currently working on PhD in History at the University of Toronto, but I often travel to Siena, Italy to do research for my dissertation.

Followers