Sciopero Generale, otherwise known as A Day Off!

Today in Italy there was a Sciopero Generale, or a strike of all government and civil service employees. This meant that I could not go to the archives; they were closed because there were not enough people there to staff the reading room. It was a little frustrating since I just got here and got started, but it was also nice to have a guilt-free day off! I decided I would try and visit the Accademia where Michaelangelo's David is housed because I've only been there once and I promised my Mom last night that I would go visit him for her. Well, that plan was foiled by the sciopero- the gallery was closed. So I decided to content myself with visiting one of my favorite places in the city: the Baptistery of the Duomo. I know it sounds odd, but really there are a lot of things to love about this place. First there is the amazing ceiling, covered in mosaics of stories from the Bible. I took the time today to study each one (and had a massive crick in my neck afterward!) and was pleased with myself for being able to identify the story/scene portrayed in all of them. Another thing I love about the baptistery is the fact that many famous Florentines, including Dante, were baptized there. Then there are the famous doors by Ghiberti which depicts scenes from the Old Testament. Here are a few pictures:

A view of the ceiling.

Mosaic of the Resurrected Christ, situated above the alter. (Notice the people being resurrected and climbing out of their sarcophogai beneath him? I love that!)

The mosaic depicting Hell: a little gruesome but kind of awesome too!

I wish I could get a better shot of the top panels in this photo; they depict Noah loading the ark and then the ark floating on top of the flood waters while people drown underneath. I love the little details in these mosaics like the fish floating around with the drowning people in this one.

Remember that crick in my neck? This is how it came to be.

After my time in the baptistery I spent some time in the piazza in front of the Duomo:

A shot of the Duomo from outside the baptistery.

The Campanile, or bell tower, of the Duomo.

I was amused to notice this across the street from the Cathedral:


Ben&Jerry's in Florence? Don't misunderstand me, I love Ben&Jerry's. But why here when there is so much delicious gelato around? There was also a new Disney store up the street . . . I love the Disney store too but it sort of distracts from the Renaissance atmosphere of the city to see things so jarringly North American. (Young American girls doing one of the cheers from "Bring It On" as they walk down the street in front of you also distracts from the atmosphere . . .) So, to regain the Renaissance, here's one last photo, this time of Ghiberti's doors (also referred to as the Gates of Paradise):

Aren't they beautiful?

So that was my day! Tomorrow it is back to the archives, but they are only open until 1pm, so I will still have the afternoon to wander. Maybe I will try to visit David then!

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow. that's all I can think of to say! What a day off for YOU!Sarah, it is so beautiful there really are no words. I am glad you know all about the things you are seeing. I wouldn't have a clue! Well, unless it was David. Hope you can see him today!

Anonymous said...

DANTE IS THE SHIZ.

...

And, y'know...the baptistery is kind of cool too. Ha!

That is all.

:)

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am currently working on PhD in History at the University of Toronto, but I often travel to Siena, Italy to do research for my dissertation.

Followers