Caldo in Firenze? Prendi gelato!

Today in Florence it was hot. And by hot I don't mean really warm and toasty, or even baking, I mean brutal, melting heat. Sure the high was only 97 degrees, but combine that with some humidity and being outside is almost unbearable. I can stand temperatures that high in a dry climate but the humidity kills me- I detest it! Maybe I am just a total wimp when it comes to heat (and I'll be the first to admit that I would rather be cold than hot) but when there is no air conditioning inside (or air conditioning that actually works well) and you go from a warm building out into the muggy heat it is hard to be anything less than miserable. So what do you when you are walking home in such heat? Get gelato! I stopped on my way home from the archives at a gelateria that a friend recommended to me and got a small cup of ciccolato fondente (dark chocolate) and crema (cream). Maybe it was just because it was so hot outside, or maybe it was because I was hungry, but I think this was the best gelato I have ever tasted. I have tried many different gelaterias in Italy and in other places, and I have had some great gelato. But this was just heavenly! The flavor of the dark chocolate was so rich and amazing . . . I don't even know how to describe it! It was the perfect treat to keep me cool on the way home. Here is the aftermath:


These high temperatures are set to continue all week, and I guarantee that it will take all my will power not to stop at this place every day. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Stop and have some every day, I insist! I can live vicariously through you, right? With all of your walking and exercising you should be just fine. If it is truly the best you have ever had you should enjoy it while you are there!

I forgot about your cute little notebook! Love the biridies!

Coach Dee said...

Sarah I support you 100% in getting a dark chocolate gelatto every day as you walk home from the archives. After all I have been taking your brother, sister and mother to HARTS almost every night to get an Icee. I love you.

Lianne Barr said...

I loved gelato in Italy, it does help with the heat! And believe me, I know hot and humid (although I do have air conditioning that works) I really liked the nutella flavor, have you had that?

Sarah said...

I'm glad that everyone supports my need for gelato! I have tried the nutella and it is good; I also like to combine hazelnut and chocolate to make nutella-esque flavor.

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am currently working on PhD in History at the University of Toronto, but I often travel to Siena, Italy to do research for my dissertation.

Followers