Palio Continued . . .

Here are some of the pictures I promised; the videos will have to wait until tomorrow. Enjoy!

For several nights before the Palio each contrada has its own neighborhood dinner, and to accomodate everyone they set up long tables like this in the main street or piazza of the contrada. This is the set up for the dinner in Aquila, near the Duomo.


My view from the Campo of the Palazzo Pubblico Saturday evening for the last trial run. The stands in front of the building were full of children from each contrada and they seemed to have a lot of fun cheering and waving flags.


Yuliya, Me, and Kathy at the trial run; it was so hot outside!!!


Some lucky people get to watch from up above the crowds.


Balcony and bleacher seats are expensive, but far more comfortable than being smashed in the middle of the Campo with the crowd.


Some of the flag bearers from the parade Sunday afternoon.


A knight in shining armor!


These next few pictures aren't that great (it was hard to get good shots from my spot in teh crowd) but I thought I would include them just to give an idea of the various dress/costumes that people in the parade wore.

Another knight in not so shining armor!


The black and yellow of Aquila.


The rich blue velvet of these costumes was beautiful, but they looked a little hot and uncomfortable to wear.


I love the detail on the sleeves!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

It is so beautiful! I am so glad you have gotten to see this twice now. Maybe someday me too???

It struck me as I looked at the pictures howclose everyone was to the parade.They don't have our wide streets do they! They might think our parades look distant and commercial! I love the community spirit they show.

Lianne Barr said...

Hi Sarah! I talked with Cheryl last night and she told me about your blog! I am so happy you are doing it. I loved Italy when we got to visit, but it was so short, seeing it through your experience is wonderful. I am glad you are having such a cool experience.

Anonymous said...

I really love your stories and the colors of the costumes. According to our Italian teacher at Lone Peak, she is from Italy some the costumes are hand made. The dark blue one is all hand embroidered. I really love the colors. Keep up the posts. They are fun to read and see. Hope you are well. I love you.

Dad

Gena said...

How gorgeous! And, like you Mom commented, you are all so close to "the action." And if you were warm...? Armor and velvet, bleh. Keep taking lots of pictures for us!

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am currently working on PhD in History at the University of Toronto, but I often travel to Siena, Italy to do research for my dissertation.

Followers