What doesn't hurt us makes us stronger, right?

So I know I definitely cannot compete with all the troubles my sister Brittany faced during her horrible September, but I have to say that this month has been pretty rough for me too. I know, I know- how can I possibly be having a rough time when I am in Italy? Well, let me tell you. This trip is not all fun and games folks, I am here to get some serious and essential work done. And although things are moving along, they are doing so slowly. Part of this is due to the fact that I have been feeling ill for about three weeks. My symptoms include terrible sinus headaches, sore throat, cough, runny nose, and general exhaustion. I am eating healthy and getting 8 or more hours of sleep each night but I am still exhausted all day, every day. This makes it rather hard to concentrate when I am sitting in the archives faced with fifteenth century handwriting and eyes that will barely stay open. I have tried to rest a day here and there, and I have also tried just spending half the day in the archives, but to no avail. I am starting to feel very frustrated about it, since I am here to do this research but I am having a hard time getting things done.

Add to my health issues the following events which occurred today:

1. I have a grant application that I had to finish and mail off to Toronto, which I did; only to realize later in the day that I forgot to include my transcripts in the envelope so I had to go back to the post office and send those off as well. This would not be so bad if the post office in Italy didn't involve such long lines and eternal wait times.

2. My iPod got stuck in one of the USB ports on my computer (it's a first generation shuffle) and I seriously couldn't get it out. I didn't want to break it or my computer but I didn't know what to do. I played with it for awhile and then just sucked it up and pulled really, really hard . . . which didn't work! So, I hauled my laptop to the archives with my iPod stuck in it; I managed to get it out this afternoon by pulling up first, and then pulling really, really hard.

3. While I was at the archives today I was working with some documents from the 1500s that are bound together with a leather spine and wooden board covers. While trying to shift the book to the other side of my desk my hand slipped and I got a huge splinter in my pinky finger- ouch! I got it out, and promptly gave myself a tiny paper cut. I decided, shortly thereafter, that it was probably best to just go home.

Needless to say, I was feeling pretty lousy (both mentally and physically) but after a bit of self-reflection I feel much better- mentally, anyway! This past week I co-taught the lesson in Relief Society and we talked about the concept of "being of good cheer." This afternoon, as I mentally counted down all the crummy things that have happened to me lately, a few key points from the lesson crept into my mind. I remembered that despite all the trials or difficulties we face in this life, ultimately we are here to have joy. We find that joy by making the gospel of Jesus Christ the centre of our lives. I was reminded that I have so much to be thankful for because of the Savior, that even in tough times I can have joy in my life. That doesn't mean that everything will automatically be better or that things won't be hard (did I mention that a pigeon pooped on my foot a few weeks ago? Gross!) but it does make things a little brighter. So here's hoping to a better day tomorrow and a better month ahead; but if not, I know that things will be okay and I will come out a stronger person in the end, and that thought makes me happy!

5 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

:-( I'm so sorry that you are going through all of these health issues- research on its own is hard enough! It always takes MUCH more time and you encounter all of these things you didn't expect (aka bad handwriting, paper cuts, splinters) so just chalk it up to part of the whole experience. You are doing the best that you can and that is all that really matters :-) I know you are amazing and that you can do it!!! If I can get a PhD, then you DEFINITELY can since you are much more talented an capable than me :-) Hugs!

Marianne said...

I agree with everything Cheryl said! She is right! Believe in yourself and trust in the Lord, ALL Is Well...!

On the funny side of things, you got a splinter from a book made in the 1500's. How cool is that? How old was that tree when it was harvested over 500 years ago? Only in Europe, huh?

I love you my deary! See a doctor if you don't start to feel better...please!

Bryan and Lyndsey said...

Wow, Sarah! I thought I had a week. Hey I have skype too! We should see if it works. Look up Lyndsey Mortensen! Have fun in that beautiful place!

B*Marie said...

What gives! I swear... the moon is in retrograde or whatever it is the psychics would say is causing our traumas! I was walking to Mass Comm. Law today and dropped my phone... again, but this time in stead of cracking it fell apart. This guy next to me was like "whoa, that is the third cell phone I've seen fall a part today." And I go, "Really? Maybe its you!" Ha ha ha. I was totally sarcastic, but he walked off way fast. Hang in there sars!

Gena said...

It's wonderful that after such a crummy time you were able to "gird up your loins." I love our Savior and all he has sacrificed for us! He helps us so much when no one else can!

And I agree with you, it's been a weird month! But I have high hopes that in a week or two it will relent...

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am currently working on PhD in History at the University of Toronto, but I often travel to Siena, Italy to do research for my dissertation.

Followers